Working as a student assistant
Finding a position as an assistant
You are currently studying and want to earn money alongside your studies? If possible, in an area where you can use or broaden your knowledge?
Assistant in teaching and research areas
Support the department by becoming a tutor or helping to correct homework assignments.
If you are interested, speak directly to the instructor in charge of the relevant course. You can also find open posts online, at the Infopoint and in our display case in the magistrale.
Assistants at events
The Service Office is always searching for students who can support us at various department events. If you enjoy organizing and supervising events, please report to the Mathematics Infopoint.
Internal mail: SB-S-MA
The Infopoint Mathematics is closed to the public until further notice. The mail is processed regularly and we can be reached by e-mail.
Requirements: Who can work as an assistant?
Students who have not yet completed a degree
If you are enrolled at a German university, you can work as a student assistant. During your Bachelor's degree program, you are classified as a student assistant without a university degree.
Students with a Bachelor’s degree
If you can prove that you hold a Bachelor’s degree (or comparable international degree) and you are pursuing a further degree at a German university, you are classified as a student assistant with a university degree.
Graduates with a Master's degree
If you have a Master’s degree, a Diploma, or a comparable degree from abroad, you are classified as scientific assistant in part-time.
An employment is only possible if the purpose of the temporary contract ist the employee`s own scientific qualification.
If you study at TUM in the context of an exchange program, you are allowed to work as a student assistant if your proof of enrollment indicates “Austausch” (“exchange”).
Please note the exception
For reasons of social security and tax law, student asisstants may not take up employment in a home office abroad. The contract can only be drawn up once you are back in Germany.
Students on scholarship
If you receive a scholarship, you may also enter into a student assistant contract. In this respect, please refer to the rules concerning scholarships.
Academic staff members
Those persons who are currently, or already have been, employed as academic staff members (teaching or research associates) may not be employed as scientific assistants.
Hours threshold for assistant contracts
In the area of social insurance law (health, unemployment-benefit and care insurance, but not pensions insurance) those persons who are currently registered as students (not doctoral students) at a german school of higher education are exempt from paying social insurance contributions. This status is however only effective as long as the 20-hours/week-limit is not violated.
It is possible to have contracts outside the university with more than 20-hours/week during the non-lecture-period.
In case you receive BAföG, a Scholarship or as a member in some health insurances the 450-Euro limit may be important for you. Please check your individual conditions by contacting the relevant institutions.
Contract: Which application documents do I need to submit?
Submitting application documents
Some forms are officially available in Engllish, some only have an English version as a fill-in assistance for you, some forms only exist in German. Please feel free to contact the Infopoint by e-mail if you need assistance or have any questions when filling in the forms.
Scientific assistants with a Master’s degree
- who want to be appointed for the first time at TUM
- or enter into a further contract (in the event that the previous contract expired over 12 months ago)
must submit the following documents, in addition to those for all assistants:
- Master's Certificate
- Personnel form for scientific assistants holding a Master's degree (PDF)
- Compulsory insurance questionnaire for holders of a Master's degree (PDF) (only available in German)
Student and scientific assistants from non-EU countries require the following additional documents:
- a copy of their valid residence permit or probationary certificate (Fiktionsbescheinigung)
- a copy of the supplementary sheet confirming “unselbständige Beschäftigung bis zu 120 Tage oder 240 halbe Tage im Jahr sowie studentische Nebenbeschäftigung erlaubt” [“salaried employment of up to 120 days or 240 half days per year as well as part-time student work permitted”]
- a copy of the passport page displaying all personal information
Please note: The contract can only be issued for the period during which the residence permit is valid. Please be sure to organize and submit any extension in good time.
For subsequent student or scientific assistant contracts within 12 months (calculated from the last day of the previous contract) please resubmit the following documents as early as possible:
- Checklist (filled out and signed)
- Compulsory insurance questionnaire or Compulsory insurance questionnaire for holders of a Master's degree (both only available in German)
- current proof of enrollment
Should the previous contract have concluded more than 12 months ago, you need to resubmit all documents.
Social security number and tax identification number
- You should have these numbers at hand when you fill out the forms!
- If you do not yet have a tax ID, you can apply for one at the Federal Central Tax Office in Bonn.
- You will find your social security number on your social security ID document. Should you not yet possess such a document, you can apply for it through TUM and it will be sent to you.
- Section 1: The department number does not have to be provided.
- Section 2: does not need to be filled out.
- Section 4.6: does not need to be filled out.
- Section 5: The tax ID number is required. Regarding the question concerning main or part-time employment: Your studies do not constitute an employment relationship. If your student assistant contract is your only source of employment besides your studies then it is to be understood and indicated as your main employment relationship (Hauptarbeitsverhältnis).
- Translation help for this document
- Section 1: "Rentenversicherungsnummer" means the social security number.
- Section 5: Depending on your level of income, you can be exempted from your pension contribution. Should you wish to do this, please see the attached leaflet for further information and fill out the application form.
- Section 1: "Rentenversicherungsnummer" means the social security number.
- Section 2: Employment as a scientific assistant does not begin upon demand or continue indefinitely but is temporary.
Please feel free to contact the Infopoint if you need assistance or have any questions when filling in the forms.
If you change your health insurance provider, you need to submit your new verification of insurance or a copy of your health insurance card at the Mathematics Infopoint as soon as possible.
Please also inform us if you move to a new address or change your bank details.
Send your new address via E-Mail to the Mathematics Infopoint.
Enter your new bank details in the following document, sign it, and submit at the Mathematics Infopoint:
Should you commence additional employment outside TUM during the period covered by your assistant contract, you are required to submit an updated Compulsory Insurance Questionnaire.
Please note the regulations in the Department Guidelines, point 7, on social security law.
The employment relationship ends automatically with the conclusion of the period defined in the employment contract.
However, it can be terminated at any point in time with one month’s notice extending to the end of the calendar month.
By mutual agreement, the employment relationship can also be terminated without notice. Please inform supervisors punctually so that a replacement can be found.
The right to extraordinary termination (Section 626 of the Bürgerliches Gesetzbuch / German Civil Code) remains unaffected.
Important: You need to terminate the contract in writing. A template for this purpose is available at the Infopoint Mathematics .
Available for download
You will require the following forms for your student assistant contract:
- Forms and documents checklist
- Compulsory Insurance Questionnaire for student assistants (only available in German)
- Personnel form for student assistants (only available in German)
- Personnel record form for student assistants
- Questionnaire concerning loyalty to the constitution / Fragebogen zur Verfassungstreue
- Questionnaire concerning Scientology / Fragebogen zu Scientology
Finances: What does an assistant earn?
What does an assistant earn?
Remuneration at TUM is above the statutory minimum wage 9,35 Euro. An overview is provided here: Assistant remuneration rates from summer term 2020. A record of the hours actually worked must be kept by the temporary assistant. You receive the necessary form from your supervisor.
Is there a Christmas bonus?
Yes, you receive a special payment for every month worked during the calendar year. This is paid each November or, in the case of shorter contracts, in the month prior to the end of the contract.
Is a transfer to a bank account abroad possible?
Yes, regular payment into a bank account abroad is possible. However, an advance payment prior to the end of month can only be made to bank accounts at German financial institutions.
Illness, holiday, business trips: What to do?
Should you not be able to fulfill your duties as assistant due to illness, you must inform your supervisor immediately.
If you miss work for more than 3 days due to illness, you must submit a doctor's certificate of incapacity (Arbeitsunfähigkeitsbescheinigung / AU) to your supervisor.
Assistants too have a right to paid vacation. Please consult your supervisor for details of the regulations.
If you make a short journey in the context of your employment (e.g. travel from the Garching Campus to the Munich City Campus for tutorials), you are automatically covered by accident insurance and have your travel costs reimbursed by your employer, should you not already possess a Semester Ticket for the route.
Travel application and reimbursement of travel costs
Your supervisor submits a request for blanket approval of business travel at the beginning of the semester.
However, travel expenses for trips approved with blanket requests are reimbursed separately for each assistant. If you have taken several trips, use the form for reimbursing multiple trips and attach all receipts and tickets as far as possible. Fill in the line on the form asking for the funds number with Fonds 1010026 and submit it at the Infopoint.
Time limit: How long can I work as an assistant?
Temporary employment contracts for Bachelor's and Master's students are possible for a duration of 6 years in total. This includes all previous contractual periods spent working as a student assistant. See also the Information for students assistants.
Part-time scientific assistants
A maximum period of employment of 6 years applies to these positions between the completion of your studies and the conclusion of your PhD. Only contracts who cover more than 10 hours/week are taken into consideration for this maximum period. See also Information for part-time scientific assistants.