Math Exhibition ix-quadrat
An exhibition makes mathematics tangible
The mathematics exhibition ix-quadrat within the Zentrum Mathematik at the TUM opened in November 2002, conceived, curated and headed by Professor Jürgen Richter-Gebert. The ix-quadrat is a hands-on exhibition, which aims to awaken interest in mathematics in general and through the tactile experience literally makes math something one can grasp.
The exhibition has three central themes:
- You can count on this
- Perspectives of the graphic artist M. C. Escher
There are also three sorts of exhibition material:
- Exhibits behind glass - to be amazed at
- Freestanding exhibits: all the exhibits which are not in glass cabinets can be actively used to see how math works and are there explicitly for this purpose
- Digital media: Computer programs which enable further insight into each theme and round off our program. Computers are only used when they are truly helpful in adding to or completing understanding and experience of the subjects.
Opening hours for the general public - no pre-booking required:
- 06/04/2023: from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- 21/04/2023: from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- 05/05/2023: from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
The exhibition room of the ix-quadrat is located in the main building of the Department of Mathematics on the campus "Garching Forschungszentrum". How to find us.
Website on the exhibition
New website is coming soon
Virtual tours through the ix-quadrat
We are happy to offer a virtual visit for your group or school class via BBB or Zoom. Here you can get to know our contents and exhibits through personal contact. With the help of computer programs and handicraft activities, the participants can also get active themselves. For schools in alternating classes, this offer is also suitable for the group that is currently learning at home. Please contact us to discuss the contents and to make an appointment.
Crafting and painting - with math
Paint visual works of art or make colorful patterned eggs: At Math for Kids you will find many ideas for understanding mathematics in an entertaining way at home.
Visit the ix-quadrat!
The ix-quadrat offers prebooked guided tours for all ages, but we regret to inform you, that our tours are mainly in German, with the possibility for a few limited exceptions. Please contact Jutta Niebauer for all tour enquiries.
You are of course more than welcome to visit our exhibition during our regular opening hours and spend time trying out our fascinating exhibits.
Individuals are welcome to view our exhibition within the regular opening hours as stated on our main page. Prebooking is not necessary. Math students are on hand to explain the exhibits (as far as possible in English too!)
As the majority of pupils taking part in our activities are from schools in the near vicinity, information and guided tours usually are in German language. However, if you would like to visit the ix-quadrat, we'll try to arrange activities in English, but please understand that our resources are limited.
Please contact Mrs. Jutta Niebauer
- under the telephone number +49 (0)89 289 18359
- or via E-Mail: ix-quadrat (at) ma.tum.de
The exhibition is free of charge for all visitors. We are however always grateful for donations, which are invested in new material for the exhibition.