PreDoc Program in Mathematics
Our PreDoc program is a fully funded Master course with the advantages of a PhD program.
Our PreDoc Program in Mathematics is designed for outstanding students who wish to pursue their PhD at our Department. Through application and admission already at a Master's level, PreDoc students have early access to many aspects of the Faculty's Doctorate Programs as well as special financing possibilities!
What do I get from our PreDoc program?
While enrolled in one of our Master Programs you will prepare for a future doctorate in Mathematics. The program includes:
- an individual mentoring with a professor from your area of interest
- flexible entry points to one of our Doctorate Programs at different stages
- embedding in an attractive interdisciplinary and international graduate environment
- (If desired) a pre-study course prior to enrollment for orientation and, in particular, understanding German society and the university system
- Scholarships for the duration of max. 2 years (a monthly stipend of 1.000 EUR) are available for international students. These will be awarded on the basis of academic merit.
Application: How to become a PreDoc
Application deadline is 1 December of each year for admission in October of the following year. The application period for the winter semester 2022/23 started in fall 2021 and is closed now.
Who can apply?
If you hold a Bachelor degree or are expected to complete your degree prior to the beginning of the PreDoc Program, we encourage you to apply if:
- You want to pursue a doctorate in Mathematics.
- You are passionate and creative about Mathematics.
- You have excellent grades.
- You have proof of sufficient English language skills (e.g. TOEFL minimum requirements: internet based test: 88; computer based test: 234; paper based test: 605).
Please note: The Mathematics PreDoc program is only open to international candidates who are not yet TUM students, but have met all prerequisites for enrolling in a Masters program in mathematics at the TUM and who, moreover, enrol in a suitable TUM Masters program for the duration of their funding. Although you must apply for the PreDoc program separately, the final admission is dependent on admission to one of our Master Programs.
How do I apply?
Applications have to be submitted directly to gradoffice (at) ma.tum.de. Please add the following documents (one file, not exceeding 5 MB):
- Application form
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum Vitae
- Transcript of records
- All relevant certificates
- Examples of written academic work (if applicable)
For questions please contact gradoffice (at) ma.tum.de.
Please note: Incomplete applications and applications which do not comply with the stated criteria will not be considered.