The Department of Mathematics at the TUM is delighted to welcome new graduate students who are interested in being part of an academic community known for its outstanding research teams and scholarly cooperation.
In good hands - not only academically
The department offers a stimulating environment ideal for doctoral projects: from its courses and staff to the very structure of the TUM Graduate School and its Graduate Centers, the faculty’s service has been designed to help its students succeed. The Dean's Office and the Graduate Office will support you at all stages of your graduate studies! Here you will find all players relevant for your dissertation project.
Offices and Services
Because each doctoral candidate has a variety of administrative needs, the TUM provides specialised administrative support depending on the nature of the enquiry. For administrative purposes, each graduate student is seen as having multiple statuses:
- From a legal perspective, each doctoral candidate officially belongs to the Department of Mathematics during his/her dissertation project. All enquiries relating to legally important administrative matters (such as registration as a doctoral candidate, dissertation submission, and doctoral examinations) should be directed to the Dean's Office.
- As a doctoral candidate in mathematics, each graduate student is a member either of the departmental Graduate Center ISAM or the Graduate Center most relevant to his/her dissertation topic. The individual Graduate Centers (all of which belong to the Graduate School) are responsible for general administration, student records, and special events. Further information can be found in the comprehensive list of graduate centers and staff.
- As a doctoral candidate at the TUM, each graduate student has various rights, obligations, and possibilities. For all general matters concerning promotion, study and degree regulations, professional development opportunities, etc., please visit our colleagues in the TUM Graduate School.
- Each doctoral candidate registered at the TUM can enroll as a doctoral student for a maximum of six (6) semesters. Please apply viaTUMonline.
- For support as scholars, doctoral candidates should look to their academic advisors within the department. Mentors and colleagues from the respective research group are also here to lend support in all matters of scholarly development.
- Doctoral candidates who are also employees at the TUM should consult the personnel office with all enquiries regarding matters of public sector employment law such as contracts, leave due to illness, vacation, etc.
- Doctoral students who are grant recipients should address any questions about related financial and legal matters to the provider of the grant.
- The doctoral examination office will be relevant for submitting your dissertation. The Dean's Office will be happy to answer all questions concerning the preparation of your application for a doctoral degree.
Here is an overview where to go with your questions: