You have a foreign degree and want to do a PhD at the TUM Department of Mathematics? Here you get the necessary information.
If you want to work on a dissertation project and have a foreign degree, you need to apply for a recognition together with your application for enrollment at the department's doctoral list.
Recognition of a foreign degree
- If you have a foreign degree and want to be enrolled into the doctoral program at TUM mathematics, you need to be aware that your registration will take about three months. It is not possible to find a shortcut or a special solution that is faster. Therefore you might want to start on it as soon as possible.
- You can also work on your registration when you are still abroad, as might be necessary if you need a visa to come to TUM.
- This website is concerned only with your registration as a doctoral candidate. For information about housing and employment in context with your doctoral project please contact your supervisor or his/her secretary.
How to proceed - step-by-step:
Prerequisites for the registration are
- a professor in this department has agreed to be your supervisor and
- your master is finished and you have at least preliminary master documents you can hand in.
For the registration you need to prepare
- a supervision agreement. Please contact our Graduate Office about it. It must be signed by all listed persons. Please tell us if you need help collecting the signatures, if you are applying from abroad.
- a certified copy of your foreign degree documents. If you are at Campus Garching, you will receive this from local administration, e.g. Gemeindeverwaltung Garching , Rathausplatz 3 or in Munich, Kreisverwaltungsreferat (KVR), Ruppertstraße 11. If you are applying from abroad you need to produce the certified copies in the country where you live and send the documents via surface mail to the Dean's Office.
- Please note: If your documents are neither in English nor in German you have to get an authorized translation of the documents first. Usually your local administration can name authorized translators for every language; they can also be found in the internet.
- Please note: Dekanat is not authorized to certify the copies of your documents!
- Please open a new account on the TUM-GS platform and
- answer the questions concerning your dissertation project, your supervision agreement, your degree and your background. There are data you have to supply and other data you need to contact your supervisor about.
- Please note: You may need some time to collect all necessary data.
- When you have everything complete, please submit the form.
- You will then be asked to print the registration form, sign it yourself and
- have it signed by your supervisor.
- In your TUM-GS account you can also find information about the status of your applications.
- Please turn in all documents listed on DocGS under "applicants with a foreign degree" at the Dean's Office either in person or via surface mail.
- Dean's Office will upload them into your account and send your hard copy papers to the TUM-central examination office.
- The upload of your complete documents results in a confirmation about a preliminary acceptance as a doctoral candidate by Doc-GS.
- If this document is not sufficient for your purposes, e.g. application for a visa to come to TUM, please contact ISAM about an official confirmation.
- Please note: We cannot issue a confirmation about your acceptance into the doctoral program at TUM mathematics before the necessary documents are received by the dean's office. This is the earliest possible time. If you have to have a confirmation before that, e.g. for a visa, you need to contact your supervisior for a letter of invitation.
- After the examination office has received the documents they take over responsibility for the recognition procedure.
- They will check the received documents and send you an email if documents are missing.
- Please note that this email is sent only once. If you ignore it, there will be no further development towards your recognition. As a result you will not be able to receive a doctoral degree from TUM.
- During this stage please communicate with the examination office directly,
- but send possible missing documents to the dean's office.
- Please note: As soon as examination office regards you documents as complete the recognition procedure will take about 6 weeks.
When your recognition is complete you will find those documents in your doc-gs account:
- confirmation that your foreign degree is accepted
- confirmation that you are registered on the doctoral list
The documents will be available as pdfs until you have finished your thesis.They are legally valid for all purposes. Please contact Dekanat for further questions.
Registration as a student is unfortunately sometimes referred to as enrollment, too. However, it has nothing to do with enrollment into the department's doctoral list. Here you register via TUMonline to a TUM service that will provide you with a student card to receive all known student benefits. You may also need a student card for your grant or for you student accomodation. It is however not necessary for your dissertation project and for the application for a doctoral degree. Registration therefore is not obligatory.
Basic information for your registration you find here. In case you have received an acceptance of your foreign degree, it is however not necessary to supply all listed documents. Instead you need to send only to the address they give:
- Your TUMonline application, printed and signed
- Both confirmations from step 5 as printouts.
Please direct your questions concerning Step 6 and Step 7 to the contact addresses you receive from the linked websites. These are services for which Dekanat cannot provide further information.
With your Student Card you can apply for a semester ticket (more information).
Please direct your questions concerning Step 7 to the contact addresses you receive from the linked websites. These are services for which Dekanat cannot provide further information.