Event series: The 7 great adventures in mathematics
Germany wide event series on the Millennium Problems
From spring to fall 2022 a Germany-wide event series will run under the title "The 7 great adventures in mathematics". The series covers the Millennium Problems, which are seen as the seven central, still existent problems in mathematics, designated as such by the Clay Mathematics Institute, USA in the year 2000. With one exception - the Poincaré-Conjecture – they still remain unsolved.
A variety of mathematical research locations are organizing contributions to each of these mathematical problems. In these events, renowned mathematicians illustrate how current mathematical research works and explain in an understandable manner, even for non-mathematicians, why mathematics is so exciting. One particular aim of the event series is to increase enthusiasm for the adventure that is mathematics. Depending on the location, extra events are also offered for school pupils. The events are held in German language.
The Hodge Conjecture in Munich
On September 22, a public event on the "Hodge Conjecture" will be held in Munich at the premises of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities in the Munich Residence. It is organized by the Department of Mathematics of the Technical University of Munich. We organize an evening program with poster and model exhibition, live music and drinks. The core of the event will be two public mathematical lectures (held in German):
Jürgen Richter-Gebert: Mathematicians and their problems
Christian Liedtke: The Hodge Conjecture
Details can be found on the event page 7 Adventures - The Hodge Conjecture.
The 7 great adventures in mathematics: event locations
The following institutions are involved in the event series:
- DFG-Excellence Cluster MATH+, Technical University of Berlin: P vs. NP Problem
- Die Junge Akademie, Berlin: Yang-Mills Theories
- University of Bonn, Hausdorff Center for Mathematics: Riemann Hypothesis
- Technical University of Braunschweig and Leibniz University Hannover: Navier-Stokes-Equation
- Ruprecht-Karls-University Heidelberg, DFG-Excellence Cluster Structures: Poincaré- Conjecture
- Technical University of Munich: Hodge-Conjecture
- Westphalian Wilhelms-University Münster, DFG-Excellence Cluster Mathematics: Conjecture of Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer
The initiators of the series "The 7 great adventures in mathematics" are the Junge Akademie and the Deutsche Mathematiker-Vereinigung (German Mathematical Society DMV). Support is given by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Council DFG). Information on the Millennium-Problems, the events and the locations and institutions involved can be found on the website 7abenteuer.diejungeakademie.de or under Hashtag #7Abenteuer.