TUM Mathematics ahead nationwide
QS World University Ranking 2021
The Technical University of Munich (TUM) is ranked first amongst all German universities in mathematics in the renowned "QS World University Ranking by Subject" 2021, placed 56th in the world. In the general field of natural sciences, TUM is also top in the German comparison (with other math departments) with the 31st place.
No German university makes it into the top 50 in the field of mathematics in 2021. In addition to TUM, the top 100 include:
- Technical University of Berlin (TU Berlin), 61st place.
- Humboldt University Berlin, 90th place
- RWTH Aachen University, 92nd place
- Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms University Bonn, 96th place
Methodology and weighting
For its ranking, the British recruiting company QS conducts surveys amongst academics and companies on the quality of universities. It also determines how often scientific studies are cited, which shows their importance in the field of research. Four indicators are weighted differently depending on the subject culture:
- the academic reputation of the university
- the employer reputation
- the frequency of its cited studies
- the h-index of citations. This measures the productivity and influence of a scientist, group or university based on citations of publications.
TUM in the TOP 50 10 times
TUM is among the top 50 universities worldwide in 10 subjects, including Statistics / Operational Research, which ranks 40th. The 2021 edition of the "QS World University Ranking", which evaluates universities as a whole and includes other indicators, has already been published in mid-2020. Here, TUM is ranked 50th, making it the best German university for the 6th time in a row, and ranking it 1st across the EU.