Eva Viehmann appointed member of Leopoldina
Admission to German National Academy of Sciences
The Leopoldina, the German National Academy of Sciences, has elected Professor Eva Viehmann as a member. This appointment is one of the highest scientific honors in a German institution. The Leopoldina comprises around 1,600 members of all scientific disciplines; the number of members under the age of 75 Jahren is limited to 1,000.
Eva Viehmann is Professor for Arithmetic Geometry at the Technical University of Munich (TUM). From 2011 to 2016 she was a member of the Jungen Akademie, an academy for young scientists supported by the Leopoldina. She was an invited speaker at the International Mathematics Congress 2018 in Rio de Janeiro. Furthermore, she received a Starting Grant from the European Research Council (ERC), as well as a further Consolidator Grant.
What is the Leopoldina?
The Leopoldina represents the German scientific community internationally, as well as identifying and analyzing scientific issues of social importance and providing policymakers and the public with science-based advice. The Academy operates irrespective of political and economic objectives and is committed to serving the public interest.
Members of the Academy are excellent researchers from around the world. Two thirds are from German-speaking countries, the other third from 27 further states. New members are proposed by existing members of the Academy, then elected by the Presidium in a multi-tiered process. The Academy consists of 28 scientific sections, which are grouped in four classes:
- Mathematics, Natural Sciences and Engineering
- Life Sciences
- Humanities, Social and Behavioural Sciences
Eva Viehmann is a member of the section Mathematics. TUM Emeritus of Excellence Prof. Karl-Heinz Hoffmann, formerly Professor of Applied Mathematics at our department, is also a member of the Academy.
History of the Leopoldina
The Academy was founded as the Academia Naturae Curiosorum in 1652, adding the name "Leopoldina" after Emperor Leopold I. granted the Academy official approval in 1677 followed by special privileges, guaranteeing its independence from the various ruling dynasties in the region and providing complete freedom from censorship for all its publications. It is now the oldest continuously existing academy of medicine and the natural sciences in the world and the oldest such society in German-speaking countries.
In 2008 the Leopoldina was appointed as the first German National Academy of Sciences by the federal and state governments and since then stands under the patronage of the Federal President of Germany. The Leopoldina is financed to 80 percent from the German State and to 20 percent from the State of Sachsen-Anhalt, where it established its main seat at the University of Halle in 1878.