(Post)Doctoral Researcher wanted
Numerical analysis and extensions for optimal transport
Doctoral Researcher (75%, 3 years) or
PostDoctoral Researcher (100%, 2 years)
starting 1 May 2019 or later.
This research position is situated within the research unit "Applied and Numerical Analysis, Optimization and Data Analysis" at the Technische Universität München, Department of Mathematics, and is a DFG funded position.
Ideal candidates have the following profile:
- an outstanding degree in Mathematics, Computer Science or Physics
- a strong background in at least one of the following fields: optimization, convex analysis, numerical analysis and algorithms, image processing, PDEs and optimal control
- substantial experience in numerical programming with Python, C/C++, Matlab or similar environments
- good command of the English language (knowledge of German is not required)
- strong interest in working on numerical optimal transport and its applications to data analysis and inverse problems
What we offer
We offer an interesting, varied and challenging position within a young, international and interdisciplinary team located at the Garching Campus of the TUM.
The position is paid according to the Civil Service rates of the German States "TV-L", E13 (if suitably qualified). The contract is limited to a three year period for doctoral researchers, or 2 years for postdoctoral researchers.
As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, TUM explicitly encourages applications from women as well as from all others who would bring additional diversity dimensions to the university’s research and teaching strategies. Preference will be given to disabled candidates with essentially the same qualifications.
Applications should include
a CV, with a list of publications (for postdoctoral researchers),
copies of degrees / university transcripts,
a motivational statement (at most one page) explaining the applicant's interest in the position as well as their relevant skills and experience,
names and email addresses of at least one (for doctoral researchers) or two (for postdoctoral researchers) professors that may provide letters of recommendation directly to the hiring committee.
Applications should be sent as a single PDF file to: bernhard.schmitzer (at) tum.de. Please indicate "Research Position Emmy Noether" in the subject line.
The review of applications will begin on 28 February 2019 and continue until this position is filled. We look forward to receiving your application!