The Department of Mathematics on the Research Campus in Garching plays a central role at the TUM. We are on the front line in important contemporary research and offer our students a solid and modern mathematics education – within our department, in engineering subjects and for teacher training courses.
Mathematics research on the interface between theory and applications is our mission. We offer a wide variety of opportunities, from fundamental areas of pure mathematics to mathematical applications in engineering, computer science, life sciences and much more.
Our study programs
In a modern society, mathematics is about much more than proving theorems and making calculations. It is about connecting, delving into modern technologies, and putting current research results into the context of concrete applications. It it about understanding on a high and a low level. Our range of study courses offer a wide and practically orientated spectrum.
Our department offers numerous programs for the general public. Alongside many programs for schools, the mathematics exhibition ix-quadrat is a particular highlight. Here one can get to grips with mathematics at first hand.
We are international! Our department is open for incoming students of all nationalities. And we actively support our students in planning and organising trips and study periods abroad.
The Collaborative Research Center Discretization in Geometry and Dynamics builds a bridge between basic geometric research and analytical dynamics. Since 2012, the German Research Foundation has been funding the project with around 20 million euros.
Conference: Discrete Systems and Calculus of Variations
- 29. November 2022 16:00 – 17:00 Mirjeta Palloshi: Kombinatorische Matching-Algorithmen für die Kurszuweisungen
- 30. November 2022 12:15 – 13:15 Elizabeth Gross (University of Honolulu, USA): Phylogenetic network inference with invariants
- 1. Dezember 2022 16:30 – 17:30 Christophe Garban: Continuous symmetry breaking and synchronization problem
- 5. Dezember 2022 16:30 – 17:30 Quirin Vogel (TUM): TBA
- 8. Dezember 2022 16:30 – 17:30 Teemu Pennanen: Convex stochastic optimization
- 12. Dezember 2022 15:00 – 16:00 Guilherme Reis (TUM - Chair of Probability Theory): Interacting diffusion on random graphs